During development of the City of Parkland, Florida (incorporated in 1963) construction workers and archaeologists discovered hundreds of fossil bones from Mammoths and other Pleistocene species. The bones are at least 11,000 years old and represent one of the largest fossil deposits known in Broward County. Archaeologists have found numerous artifacts including intricately carved ornaments demonstrating occupation by the Tequesta from AD 500 through AD 1750.
The 15,000 acres bordering the Everglades that comprise the City of Weston were accumulated in the 1950s by the retired chairman of ALCOA, Arthur Vining Davis, with an eye to development. His called his company Arvida derived from his name and after a model town in Quebec he designed for company workers in 1927. As Arvida became the developer of Weston, it was influenced by Lawton Chiles' Governor's Commission for a Sustainable South Florida. In the 1990s the company hired us to conduct an overall archaeological survey. The survey found, in addition to the sites in Peace Mound Park, four other prehistoric sites that the city has since preserved in parks and green spaces. AHC helped Weston develop the bronze plaque sidewalk trails by providing content for interpreting the prehistory of Peace Mound Park and Library Park. The Weston sites demonstrate how the Tequesta adapted their lifeways to the sawgrass swamps and hardwood hammocks of the Florida Everglades.
The last great battle of the Second Seminole War was fought near present day Jupiter along the Loxahatchee River. The 64-acre park commemorates the battle and also preserves prehistoric and historic habitation sites more than 5000 years old. The site was preserved within Riverbend Park in Palm Beach County thanks to the efforts of local preservationists and the documentation provided by AHC archaeological assessments. We also designed interpretive signage for the park.